Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the position of Landscaping/Grounds Manager (SOG/ST 3) on the General Establishment in the Office of His Excellency The Governor-General & Staff, salary range $785,768 to $934,032 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the position.
Under the general direction of the Property Administrator, the Landscaping/Grounds Manager has the overall responsibility for the management and general aesthetic upkeep of the gardens and grounds of King’s House.
- Supervises the installation of new landscapes; plans and schedules their maintenance.
- Ensures that the aesthetic appeal of the grounds are of a high standard by:
- Overseeing the use of and frequency of application of chemicals (fertilizers, Pesticides etc.)
- Ensuring that hedges /trees etc. are pruned and kept in good order
- Ensuring lawns are in a good, mowed state; are properly maintained or are resuscitated as necessary
- Introducing appropriate plants, trees, shrubs, flowers etc. to maintain/enhance the appeal of the grounds.
- Maintains inventory and control system for the effective distribution and return of machinery and equipment.
- Ensures that the irrigation system is in working order and plants are irrigated as necessary while practicing water conservation measures.
- Directs the preparation of grounds for official functions which entails:
- Preparation of areas before the event
- Overseeing insect and rodent control activities
- Supervising the lay-out of chairs, as necessary
- Maintains the greenhouse with sufficient supply of seedlings, etc.
- Manages solid waste generated by:
- Overseeing the provision of compost bins.
- Ensuring there are adequate disposal areas and that the areas are kept clean and hygienic.
- Ensuring solid waste is removed on a timely basis.
- Provides direct supervision for Gardeners and Landscapers; Plans and implements Work rosters/schedules; monitors and checks on work completed.
- Reviews plans periodically and assesses work areas assigned to increase effectiveness and efficiency of Gardeners.
- Provides guidance to staff through coaching, mentoring, providing assistance and support as needed.
- Trains or recommends relevant training for staff.
- Ensures that safety procedures in the use of chemicals and equipment are followed at all times.
- Maintains discipline, including monitoring of attendance and punctuality; liaises with Director of HR in this regard.
- Recommends /approves application for leave in keeping with HR policies and procedures.
- Manages performance of Gardeners and formally evaluates their performance annually.
- Recommends the acquisition of equipment to assist in enhancing the upkeep of grounds.
- Assists in the providing inputs for the preparation of the Division’s Work Plan and Annual Budget.
- Assists in disaster and emergency planning and management.
- Maintains statistics or records as required.
- Provides weekly and ad hoc report of activities of the section.
- Assists in responding to complaints from neighbours.
- Provides assistance as required, to facilitate the work of other agencies using the grounds.
- Assists in enforcing the guidelines for use of KH grounds by external users.
- Performs other related duties that may from time to time be assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Excellent leadership and supervisory skills.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with an eye for detail.
- Knowledge of safety procedures in the use of chemicals and equipment.
- Ability to respond/handle emergency situations in a calm, rational and effective manner.
- Ability to lead a team and display good inter-personal and human-relations skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Certification in Horticulture/Landscaping, or Agriculture with an emphasis on Horticulture, or equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Certificate in Supervisory Management.
- Valid general drivers licence useful but not mandatory.
- At least three (3) years experience to include supervising a team of workers.
Interested persons are invited to submit their applications, accompanied by a detailed résumé no later than Friday, the 18th November, 2016 to:
Director, Human Resource Management & Administration
We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.