Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the contractual position of Valet (LMO/TS 4) on the Personal Establishment of His Excellency The Governor-General, salary range $9,713 to $10,989 per week and any allowance(s) attached to the position.
Under the supervision of the Household Manager, the Valet/Butler serves as a personal aide to The Governor-General. The incumbent is attentive to details, possesses a gracious and professional personality and sees to it that The Governor-General’s day with all its requirements is accomplished in a smooth and seamless manner.
- Monitor The Governor-General’s diary in order to be kept abreast of his appointments. Schedule personal appointments as required and update His Excellency in advance to ensure appointments are kept.
- Select clothing to be worn each week in keeping with His Excellency’s appointments schedule. Check to ensure all items are in immaculate condition. All items of clothing to be selected in advance and laid out for the approval of the Household Manager and His Excellency.
- Maintain a log of the dates suits, shirts and ties are worn to assure appropriate rotation.
- Lay out clothing to be worn for each day and/or event. Have all items laid out in their place and ready to be put on when required.
- Keep all articles used for His Excellency’s personal care in their place. Lay out items required for personal care in advance, and in readiness for use
- Care for all items in The Governor-General’s Wardrobe; keep in readiness for wear at all times.
- Undertake repairs to garments as and when necessary. Consult with relevant experts to carry out alterations and repairs.
- Carry out housekeeping tasks in The Governor-General’s dressing room and other personal space. Keep in immaculate condition at the start, during and at the end of each day.
- Organize and maintain drawers, closets and other areas used for storing The Governor-General’s clothing and other personal items.
- Carry out periodic deep-cleaning of The Governor-General’s closets, drawers and other storage areas with a frequency as established. Consult with the Household Manager as required.
- Dust and air all clothing not worn within a period of at least one month. Remove all items from the closet area and vacuum everywhere to prevent moth infestation.
- Conduct an audit of The Governor-General’s wardrobe on a quarterly basis or as required. Recommend seasonal items for storage as well as the removal of worn items.
- Comply with and carry out required actions for storage or disposal of items as instructed by His Excellency.
- Air, brush, steam and or iron The Governor-General’s clothing, shoes and personal items as needed: maintain at all times in an immaculate condition.
- Carry out personal care duties for His Excellency as required. Present the various articles as needed for dressing. Assist His Excellency with dressing or un-dressing as needed.
- Check to ensure that His Excellency is appropriately groomed prior to departing the residence.
- Retrieve files, books and documents which may be required by His Excellency to be taken to appointments and accompany him to office with the required files/books, documents.
- Be on hand to receive His Excellency on his return from events or appointments. Verify that his private quarters are in immaculate condition and in readiness for his return.
- Be on-call throughout the day to ensure that The Governor-General’s needs are met up to the end of day or as required.
- Prepare The Governor-General’s luggage for travel, pack sufficient and appropriate clothing as well as linens for the trip. Unpack on his return and apply the required cleaning and airing techniques for all clothing, other items and luggage.
- Accompany His Excellency on trips as required. On arrival at the location, take charge of all luggage and attend to The Governor-General’s needs as at his private residence.
- Keep a record of medical and other appointments and remind His Excellency in advance. Make calls for personal appointments for His Excellency. Confirm and communicate updates as required.
- Receive and welcome His Excellency’s guests to the residence and attend to their needs as required for the duration of their stay.
- Provide support in setting up table appointments for functions hosted by Their Excellencies.
- Assist with food and beverage service to His Excellency at State Events and other functions hosted or attended by him.
- Liaise with the Head Chef in the Residence on menus and meal service times for His Excellency. Prepare specific items as required.
- Confirm in advance that all arrangements are in place for timely food and beverage service for His Excellency. Coordinate with the Head Butler/Duty Butler to deliver timely service.
- Be on call to His Excellency and perform any other related duties which may be assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Understands the Conventions of Protocol.
- Knowledgeable about barbering and other personal care techniques.
- Knowledge of coordination of garments, colours and accessories. Knowledge of fabric and their care.
- Knowledge of the operation and care of industrial and domestic machines
- Knowledge of food and beverage preparation and service.
- Knowledge of the range of housekeeping tasks.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of health and safety issues.
- Is confidential, flexible, loyal and trustworthy with impeccable integrity.
- Pays attention to detail and able to follow directions.
- Has a gracious and professional personality.
- Physically fit. Able to lift items when needed.
- Has excellent organizational skills, is meticulous and detail oriented.
- Possess a great degree of confidence.
- Is energetic, self-assured, customer focused and solutions oriented.
- Able to anticipate customer needs, change direction quickly and multi-task.
- An excellent communicator with interpersonal skills and is able to interact with staff at all levels.
- Ability to embrace, demonstrate and contribute to the Vision of The Office of The Governor-General and Staff: “A culture of excellence through people, performance and partnerships”.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- The Valet/Butler must be in good shape, able to lift items as well as withstand constantly being on his feet.
- The required work output can be hectic and demanding and can require completing multiple tasks at the same time.
- The Valet/Butler must also be able to work under pressure, while ensuring that everything is prepared according to expected standards and guidelines.
- The incumbent may on occasions, have to fill in as Butler and could experience the pressures of simultaneously coordinating a wide range of activities.
- Extended working hours are expected.
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- A minimum of five (5) passes in CXC or GCE Ordinary Level including English Language and mathematics or equivalent. AND
- Certification in Wait Service and Food & Beverage preparation from a recognized institution. Preferable HEART TRUST-NTA certification with practical experience in formal food service. AND
- At least five (5) years of proven, related experience in a comparable setting, AND
- Valid Food Handler’s Permit
The incumbent will be employed on contract for a period of two (2) years with the eligibility for a gratuity at the rate of twenty-five percent (25%) of the salary earned during the period of engagement.
Interested persons are invited to submit their applications, accompanied by a detailed résumé no later than Friday, the 18th November, 2016 to:
Director, Human Resource Management & Administration
We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.