Lady Blackburne, (Bridget Senhouse Constant), wife of Sir Kenneth Blackburne the first Governor-General of Jamaica, was involved with a wide range of social programmes while she lived in Jamaica between 1957 and 1962.
She played an important role in several organisations including those that focused on healthcare, children, and women. Lady Blackburne served as President of the Jamaica Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, the Council of Voluntary Social Services, Jamaica Federation of Women, Jamaica Branch of the British Red Cross Society, Girl Guides Island Council, Jamaica Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, Jamaica Women’s League, Jamaica Anti-T.B. League, Lady Musgrave Women’s Self Help Society; Jamaica Society for the Blind. She was also the President of the Antigua Branch of the British Red Cross Society between 1951 and 1956.
Lady Blackburne gave patronage to welfare and social groups such as the Child Welfare Association, Jamaica Save the Children Fund, The Woman’s Club, the Musical Society of Jamaica, the Jamaica Association for Mentally Handicapped Children, Housecraft Training Centre, Kingston Charity Organisation Society, Mothers’ Union, Child Month Central Committee, and the Hyacinth Lightbourne Visiting Nursing Service Committee.
Lady Blackburne was born in London, England and was the only child of James Mackay Wilson, D. L., of Currygrane, Company Longford, and Alice, nee Goldie-Taubman, of the Nunnery, Isle of Man.
On May 18, 1935, she married Kenneth William Blackburne, who was, at that time, an Administrative Officer for the British Government in Galilee, Palestine.
Sir Kenneth and Lady Blackburne had two children – a son, Martin was born in July 1944, and a daughter Jean, born in February 1948.
- Who’s Who Jamaica, 1957