Under the direction of the Head Butler, the Butler is responsible for the provision of food and beverage service to Their Excellencies, family, and guests. The Butler also provides support for housekeeping tasks and preparations for Their Excellencies travel.
The Butler is formally trained, and supports the Head Butler in delivering his or her roles and responsibilities which include preparing for Royal and State Visits, official functions, formal dinners and cocktail parties; ensuring that the utmost attention is paid to all the various aspects of output. He or she also assists with packing and travel preparations for Their Excellencies.
KEY RESULT AREAS/ OUTPUT
- Food & beverage service for Their Excellencies.
- Housekeeping Services.
- Work schedules.
- Inventory Management.
- Standard Operating Procedures.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Keeps abreast of activities on Their Excellencies weekly, monthly and annual diaries to ensure optimal response time and preparedness for activities and events that will require food and/or beverage service.
- Coordinates with the Head Butler for the timely delivery of meal service for Their Excellencies and guests. Assists with the preparation of items as required.
- Cleans fine china, silverware, crystal and related food service items in the residence. Responsible for table settings in the residence and for events as required.
- Carries out wait service to Their Excellencies and guests for events and activities undertaken (e.g. Courtesy Calls, Meetings, Teas, and other events as required). Sets beverage and/or tea stations as required.
- Observes safety and sanitation requirements in keeping with Standard Operating Procedures.
- Carries out housekeeping tasks as required in keeping with Standard Operating Procedures.
- Assists with packing and movement of luggage for Their Excellencies travel as required.
- Assists with the movement of guests and their luggage as required. Responds to their requests as required.
- Respond to personal requests of Their Excellencies.
- Answers telephones and receives in-person messages for Their Excellencies. Delivers messages, ascertains feedback and refers to sender in a timely manner.
- Assists with wait service at off-site banquets, cocktails, functions.
- Undertakes responsibilities for absent staff and supports others with their daily functions when needed.
- Performs any other job-related duty as assigned by the Head Butler and or Household Manager.
- Is knowledgeable about valet services and provides those services to His Excellency when needed.
- All standards of service to Their Excellencies, guests and visitors including service delivery, timeliness, personal presentation, efficiencies and cleanliness are upheld.
- Responsibilities with respect to wait service, table settings the care and well-being of visitors and guests are achieved according to the standards required by King’s House.
- Food service items and other tools and equipment are carefully handled. Damages are reported.
- The standards of personal presentation, customer service, and protocol are met and/or exceeded.
- Fine china, silver and crystal are cleaned and cared for in the appropriate manner utilizing the correct materials.
- Guidelines and standards of cleanliness, sanitation and storage are implemented and met.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SPECIFIC TO THE POSITION
- Knowledge of food and beverage preparation and food and beverage service.
- Knowledge of housekeeping tasks, furnishings and their care.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and safety issues.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES
- Is loyal, composed, trustworthy and demonstrates impeccable integrity.
- Skilled in food & beverage service.
- Physically strong, healthy and capable. Able to stand for extended periods.
- Able to anticipate customer needs, change goals and direction quickly.
- A problem-solving and results driven individual with an eye for details.
- Able to exercise initiative and cope well under pressure.
- Communicates effectively in both oral and written forms with persons at all levels.
- Is confidential and professional in personal conduct and execution of duties.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Diploma in Hospitality Management/ Food Service, or equivalent from a recognized tertiary institution. AND
- Training in Wait Service and Food & Beverage Preparation. Preferable HEART TRUST -NTA certification with practical experience in formal food service entity. AND
- Formal specialized training in the skills set practiced by Butlers such as table service, routine home maintenance, laundry essentials as well as household cleaning and organizing from a recognized institution. AND
- At least three (3) years of proven, related experience in a comparable setting.
- Valid Food Handler’s Permit
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB
The Butler may work 10 to 12-hour days including weekends and public holidays based on needs and requirements.
The incumbent may experience the pressures of simultaneously coordinating a wide range of activities.
This position requires solving problems that arise, spending long hours on one’s feet and often. having to lift objects
LIAISE WITHIN KING’S HOUSE:
|POSITION TITLE||PURPOSE OF COMMUNICATION|
Aide-de-Camp to The Governor-General
The Household Manager
The Head Butler
|Relay information and receive instructions.
LIAISE EXTERNALLY TO KING‘S HOUSE:
|POSITION TITLE||PURPOSE OF COMMUNICATION|
You may email your application letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state the post of interest in the subject line.
We appreciate all interests; however, we will respond only to candidates shortlisted.
Applications close on Friday, October 8, 2021.