Permanent Secretaries and Heads of Departments are asked to invite applications from suitably qualified officers in their Ministries/Departments to fill the post of Accounting Technician 1 (FMG/AT1), in the Office of the Governor General and Staff (King’s House), salary range $797,713.00 – $948,230.00 per annum
Under the direction of the Director of Finance, the Accounting Technician 1 is responsible for the Accounts Payable portfolio of the Unit. He or she performs under the supervision of the Director, carrying out various activities such as, verifying the validity, accuracy and authenticity of all incoming bills, claims and invoices submitted and authorized for payment.
The incumbent is responsible for completing all Payroll Bank Reconciliations within the required timeframe. In addition, he/she ensures that all activities are executed in accordance with the regulations and instructions of the Financial Administration and Audit Act (FAAA), Government of Jamaica (GOJ) Accounting Policies and Procedures, the GOJ Staff Orders and the Office’s financial policies and practices. This position also assumes the role and responsibilities of Commitment Control Officer by maintaining an effective cash management system for controlling expenditure within the limits of the approved budget and warrant allocation with respect to the Ministry of Finance and Planning’s (MOF&P) Recurrent and Capital A & B Heads.
The incumbent reports on, and controls expenditure within the limits of approved budget and warrant allocations by maintaining close contact with Programme Managers with respect to approved funds and/or blocked funds where appropriate for commitments.
- Follow all approved policies and procedures regarding the accurate and timely capture and payment of accounts payable obligations.
- Record all incoming invoices and bills on a daily basis; examine and check for accuracy and validity while noting credit periods and due dates.
- Process bills for payment in keeping with established policies and procedures. Input information through the FINMAN software and submit for verification and authorization.
- Print cheques through the FINMAN system and ensure that they are signed by the authorized officer(s).
- Record all cheques in the cheques disbursement book and prepare them for dispatch.
- Reconcile suppliers’ statements and place in the appropriate files.
- Operate an efficient Petty Cash system which includes the following requirements:
- Disbursing sums against legitimate Petty Cash requests.
- Updating and balancing accounts on a daily basis.
- Maintaining the Petty Cash Register.
- Filing Petty Cash vouchers.
- Reimbursing the Petty Cash float.
- Assist in collating financial data and preparing ad hoc reports for external agencies.
- Maintain the Statutory, Recurrent and salary cheques registers.
- Enter and update Warrant, Transfers and Journals for the Statutory and Recurrent Activities using the accounting FINMAN software.
- Prepare the following reports and deliver to the Director of Finance:
- The Cash Book Report: Weekly.
- The Outstanding Payables Aged Report: Monthly.
- The Salary Bank Reconciliation Report: Monthly.
- Create Commitment Vouchers in FINMAN based on authorized requisitions from the Procurement Unit.
- Ensure that Purchase Orders are matched with the relevant bills and Commitment Vouchers. Verify the details of each bill prior to being presented for payment.
- Ensure that payment vouchers and supporting documents are stamped “Paid” and cheque numbers and payment dates are written on payment vouchers, supporting invoices and other documentation.
- File completed payment voucher documents, and all other relevant documents according to activity and reporting period.
- Provide input for the Annual Budget and Work Plan on request, and participate in preparing a Desk Manual.
- Perform any other duty that may be assigned from time to time.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SPECIFIC TO THE POSITION
- Methods, practices, documents and terminology used in accounting and record keeping.
- Standard office practices and procedures, GOJ policies, procedures and practices governing related financial transactions.
- Knowledge of relevant computer software and spreadsheet applications.
REQUIRED SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Is a competent user of personal computers with knowledge of relevant software applications.
- Able to organize, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Possess analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to apply good judgement, exercise initiative and cope well under pressure.
- Communicates effectively in both oral and written forms.
- Is confidential; integrity and professionalism are noted in personal conduct and execution of duties.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- ATT Level I OR, ACCA-Cat Level I Certificate in Accounting, OR equivalent from an accredited institution. OR
- Successful completion of the Certificate in Government Accounting Level I. AND
- Two (2) years of related working experience.
You may email your application letter and resume to email@example.com
Please state the post of interest in the subject line.
We appreciate all interests; however, we will respond only to candidates shortlisted.
Applications close on Friday, March 26, 2021.