The Office of The Governor-General & Staff (King’s House) is seeking to recruit qualified, competent and experienced individual who is a forward-thinking, customer focused, and results-oriented, to fill the post listed below on Contract/Gratuity Terms for 2 years.
- Deputy Governor-General’s Secretary (Personal) (GMG/SEG 5)
Salary $3,564,000.00 – $4,236,476.00 per annum plus applicable allowances
The Deputy Governor-General’s Secretary (Personal) provides direct support to The Governor-General in the exercise of his social duties and community activities; and is responsible for the strategic direction, the operational plan & budget, and the timely delivery of services of the five operational units under the Personal Establishment of The Governor-General, namely:
(1) the Executive & Personal Secretariat, (2) Events Management, (3) the Residence of The Governor-General, (4) the House, and, (5) the Landscaping/Grounds and Farm staff. The incumbent also provides critical support for activities related to The Governor-General’s constitutional, legislative and ceremonial duties; and, has oversight responsibility of the Project Office of The Governor-General’s Programme for Excellence (GGPE).
The Deputy Governor-General’s Secretary (Personal) provides direct support to The Governor-General in the exercise of his social duties and community activities; and is responsible for the strategic direction, the operational plan & budget, and the timely delivery of services of the five operational units under the Personal Establishment of The Governor-General, namely (1) the Executive & Personal Secretariat, (2) Events Management, (3) the Residence of The Governor-General, (4) the House, and, (5) the Landscaping/Grounds and Farm staff. The incumbent also provides critical support for activities related to The Governor-General’s constitutional, legislative and ceremonial duties; and, has oversight responsibility of the Project Office of The Governor-General’s Programme for Excellence (GGPE).
The Deputy Governor-General’s Secretary (Personal) collaborates closely with the Aide-de-Camp to The Governor-General, the Deputy Governor-General’s Secretary (Corporate), the Press Secretary, the Property Administrator, the Director of Human Resources & Administration.
This significant role requires a high level of organization skills and energy as well as knowledge of King’s House and its operations, State protocol, public relations, and events planning.
KEY RESULT AREAS/ OUTPUT
- Operational Plan and Budget for the Personal Establishment
- Policies and Procedures for The Personal Establishment
- Standard Operating Procedures
- State events, Royal visits, National events
- Residence of The Governor-General
- The Governor-General’s Community agenda
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Make recommendations to The Governor-General in relation to the structure and operations of the Personal Establishment to include but not limited to staffing needs, and policies and procedures to assure its effective operation.
- Make recommendations to The Governor-General in relation to his social duties and community activities. Plan and execute The Governor-General’s annual corporate tours, school visits, parish tours, and hospital tours.
- Seek sponsorship of gifts for Hospital tours, and to meet other charitable needs as identified by The Governor-General.
- Contribute to the finalization of The Governor-General’s annual, monthly and weekly schedule of activities.
- Contribute to the Organization’s Strategic Plan.
- Prepare annual Operational Plan and Budget for the Personal Establishment. Monitor performance of operational units to plan; approve adjustments where necessary, and prepare quarterly performance reports. Prepare monthly cash flow requirements for the Personal Establishment. Analyze expenditure to budget and implement corrective measures where necessary.
- Provide leadership and management oversight for the five operational units under the Personal Establishment, namely (1) the Executive & Personal Secretariat, (2) Events Management, (3) the Residence of The Governor-General, (4) the House, and, (5) the Landscaping/Grounds and Farm.
- Direct and oversee support activities in relation to The Governor-General’s constitutional, legislative and ceremonial duties.
- Provide general oversight of the community activities of the Project Office of The Governor-General’s Programme for Excellence (GGPE). Participate in Management Committee meetings. Serve as a signatory on GGPE bank accounts.
- Collaborate with the Aide-de-Camp to The Governor-General to realize the desired outcomes for all appointments, events, and other matters that directly or indirectly impact The Governor-General.
- Coordinate procurement of ceremonial dress for The Governor-General as required
- Collaborate with the Press Secretary to assure timely preparation and delivery of Remarks, Greetings, Speeches, Messages, or other such information to be delivered by The Governor-General or his designated representative at the range of events he hosts or attends.
- Collaborate with the Deputy Governor-General’s Secretary (Corporate) and/or Property Manager on matters relating to the maintenance, refurbishing, and general upkeep of the Main building and those assigned for staff accommodation.
- Provide guidance for the preparation of requisitions for the procurement of goods and services in keeping with applicable procurement policies, procedures and approved budget.
- Approve requisitions for procurement, bills for payment, overtime requests, overtime claims, transportation claims, and other requests that may arise from time to time.
- Monitor the addition of fixed assets and inventory items to all operational units. Approve all disposals of defective or damaged items.
- Review monthly stock count reports; approve shopping lists for the Personal Stores inventory, events, and other ad hoc needs. Conduct periodic audit of the Personal stores; approve changes as necessary.
- Monitor the ongoing update of The Governor-General’s Personal Mailing List. Oversee the ongoing update of the range of other mailing lists managed by the Office.
- Oversee the preparation of guest lists and invitations for the range of events directed by the Personal Establishment; manage quality control activities; monitor dispatch of invitations and RSVP data and communicate as needed to relevant publics.
- Recommend for approval uniform allocation, style and process for the Personal Staff
- Provide oversight of activities of Grounds Men and Farm Hands. Facilitate meetings as required to engage and motivate them and address concerns.
- Monitor the Personal Establishment staff list, classification levels and compensation to assure in keeping with Prepare weekly, monthly and/or annual reports as required on activities under portfolio responsibilities.
- Review staffing schedules/staffing assignments for weekends, holidays, and other special events.
- Review and action correspondences as required.
- Adhere to required GOJ guidelines in selecting contracts for services.
- Provide leadership and supervisory oversight for the diverse tasks to successfully deliver all State events, Royal visits, and the range of meetings and other events hosted by The Governor-General at King’s House or external locations.
- Participate in and/or chair pre-event planning meetings. Monitor deliverables assigned to operational units to assure completion within agreed timelines. Participate in and/or chair post-event meetings.
- Provide guidance on State protocol, and the required protocol attendant to all events attended and/or hosted by The Governor-General.
- Develop policies and procedures to assure the effective operations of the Personal Establishment.
- Review and approve Standard Operating Procedures for each operational unit
- Provide direct input on furniture, fixtures, fittings, equipment, décor and design elements for all areas of the Main Building and Residence. Prioritize needs, identify desired items and suppliers of required services as needed; oversee major décor and refurbishing activities in Residence and House.
- Provide direct input on the layout and design elements of staff accommodations; meet with suppliers of services as required; oversee major refurbishing activities.
- Coordinate with the Ministry of Health for the necessary arrangements for medical coverage for State events, Royal visits, and The Governor-General’s Social and Community events.
- Provide support for the organizations Direct Disaster/Emergency Management Plan.
Departmental Human Resource Responsibilities
- Participate in interviews and selection of staff.
- Recommend terms and conditions for the engagement of Personal staff.
- Develop and/or review and approve job descriptions for Personal staff.
- Supervise Unit Managers and other direct reports by:
- Setting objectives and performance measures
- Approving work plans and monitoring progress
- Recommending and/or approving disciplinary action
- Approving leave applications
- Assess training needs and recommend training interventions staff in keeping with operational objectives.Provide on-going coaching and conduct training sessions as required to meet identified needs.
- Monitor probationary periods, and contract renewals and terminations. Carry out performance evaluation processes.
- Establish regular meeting schedule with Unit Heads to keep in-touch with operational activities, motivate, impart information, and address concerns.
- Facilitate coaching/training sessions as needed for the range of staff groups
- Monitor renewal of food handler’s permits
- Oversee seasonal decorations of the Main Building and The Governor-General’s end of year activities.
- Any other related duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- The Personal Establishment’s Operational Plan and Budget submitted and managed; performance targets achieved.
- Standard Operating Procedures implemented, and requirements adhered to
- Policies and Procedures for The Personal Establishment in place and kept updated in keeping with required Government policies and practice in similar organizations in the Commonwealth or other comparative markets.
- State events, Royal visits, National events successfully planned and executed.
- The Governor-General Residence efficiently and effectively operated.
- The Governor-General’s Community agenda successfully executed in keeping with approved schedule.
- The expectation of Their Excellencies and guests are consistently achieved and exceeded as evidenced by their feedback, and that of other key stakeholders.
- The standards of protocol are met and/or exceeded.
- Guidelines with respect to food handling procedures, standards of sanitation in keeping with required standards.
- Utilized assets, inventories and other items assigned to the Personal Establishment are accounted for with little or no variance.
- Effective coordination and working relations exist with other units within the Office of The Governor -General and with external associates in the execution of functions
- Effective monitoring and supervision of staff in executing Work Plans
- Confidentiality, integrity and professionalism are displayed in the execution of duties and personal conduct
- Advice provided is technically sound and in keeping with the strategic direction of the Office and applicable Government guidelines/requirements.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SPECIFIC TO THE POSITION
- Strategic planning and budgeting
- Supervisory/people management
- Events/project management
- Research and policy development
- Practical exposure to, and sound understanding of the modes of State protocol
- Knowledge of luxury items, antiques and design/décor
- Knowledge of Government procurement procedures
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES
- Loyal, composed, trustworthy and demonstrates impeccable integrity.
- Confidential and professional in personal conduct and execution of duties.
- Able to lead, manage, organize, set priorities, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Able to anticipate customer needs, change goals and direction quickly.
- A problem solving and results driven individual with an eye for details.
- Able to apply good judgment, negotiate, exercise initiative and cope well under pressure.
- Communicates effectively in both oral and written form with persons at all levels.
- Well- developed social and inter-personal skills and the ability to work well with all levels of internal management
- Is computer literate in Microsoft Office applications.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- An Undergraduate Degree in Hospitality Management, Business or related discipline from a recognized tertiary institution or its equivalent; AND
- Specialized training in General Administration
- Supervisory management certification
- At least five (5) years of proven successful experience at a senior management level and/or managing events/projects in Government and/or Private Sector entities.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB
The Deputy Governor-General’s Secretary (Personal) is expected to lead by example and take a non-traditional approach to working hours. This means that he or she may be required to work a flexible schedule which will include at times long hours, work on weekends and Public Holidays.
Travelling is required.
- Provide advice to The Governor-General
- Interface with Government Officials, Diplomats and other external parties
- Recommend changes to policies and procedures
- Provide technical advice on décor and design of spaces
You may email your application letter and resume to email@example.com
We appreciate all interests, however, we will respond only to shortlisted candidates.
Applications close on Wednesday, July 8, 2020