Permanent Secretaries and Heads of Departments are asked to invite applications from suitably qualified officers in their Ministries/Departments to fill the post of Director of Finance (FMG/PA 2) in the Office of His Excellency the Governor General and Staff, salary range $1,730,109 – $2,056,555 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Reporting to the Deputy Governor-General’s Secretary Corporate Services, the Director of Finance is responsible for managing, monitoring and controlling the financial and accounting operations of the department. The Director of Finance ensures the accuracy of accounting data generated from the department, reviews and provides advice for redesigning the accounting system when necessary, in order to allow for optimal use of the department’s resources and to reduce audit queries.
The incumbent is also responsible for providing guidance and direction in aspects of the Financial Regulations and relevant Staff Orders to staff of the department; and to ensure that the activities of the Accounts Unit are in keeping with the requirements of the Financial Administration and Audit (FAA) Act, Regulation from the Ministry of Finance and Planning, the Auditor General, and the financial policy of the department.
The Director of Finance performs the duties of and Accountable Officer by ensuring effective and efficient management of the department’s financial and accounting operations with specific responsibilities to plan, organize, direct and control the financial activities of the Department by:
- Being responsible for the effective and efficient management and control of funds received in respect of salaries, travelling, services and activities under Head 01000.
- Ensuring that the appropriate and up-to-date financial and accounting records are maintained in the department, in accordance with the Financial Administration and Audit (FAA) Act.
- Establishing and maintaining files and documents containing copies of government rules and procedures, and ensure that staff are kept informed of government policies, the Ministry’s instructions and decisions in relation to government financial procedures.
- Defining the rules and responsibilities of all personnel in the Accounts Unit and ensuring that the machinery and tools are provided so that all essential activities can be carried out efficiently and on a timely basis.
- Ensuring that Budget, Cash Flow and financial requests are prepared and submitted to the Ministry of Finance and Planning accurately and on time and taking into consideration the specific needs of the department.
- Preparing and submitting written financial/statistical information as requested by the Ministry of Finance and Planning and also respond to telephone queries.
- Maintaining effective working relationship with the department’s bankers and liaise with external persons relevant to the Department/Organization’s financial operations.
- Ensuring Audit Schedules, Financial Reports, Bank Reconciliations are prepared and available to Auditors on a timely basis and provide support to Audit team.
- Reviewing Audit Queries, coordinating replies to Auditor General and Internal Auditors and ensuring agreed recommendations relating to expenditure and accounting processes are implemented.
- Providing explanations for variations between budgetary allocation and expenditure.
- Preparing Annual Appropriation Account with respect to revenue and expenditure for submission to the Ministry of Finance and Planning, the Accountant General’s Department, and Auditor General’s Department.
- Preparing Annual Budget and Estimate of Expenditure and Supplementary requests for total Head, and submitting to the Ministry of Finance and Planning accurately and on time, taking into consideration the specific needs of the department.
- Ensuring that the Wage Bill is prepared and submitted to the Ministry of Finance and Planning.
- Ensuring the timely remittance of all statutory and non-statutory deductions to the relevant authorities.
- Putting in place adequate mechanisms for the collection of revenues in respect to telephone calls made and bringing into account all revenues.
- Ensuring that Purchase Requisitions are supported to initiate purchases.
- Review supporting documentation for sign-off of Purchases Orders.
- Ensuring that a Commitment Register is kept and updated weekly.
- Performing other related duties in keeping with job function that may from time to time be assigned.
Provides overall supervision and oversight of the Unit’s staff of Accounting Technicians by
- Giving general guidance and support to the Accounting Technician 3, Accounting Technician 2 and Accounting Technician 1; monitoring their work output, and taking corrective action as necessary; providing guidance and monitoring,
- Training or recommending appropriate training and development courses to enhance work performance and professional development;
- Developing/overseeing the development of Work Plans and performance targets for Unit staff.
- Monitoring performance and adjusting targets and standards as necessary
- Formally evaluating performance on an annual or ad hoc basis as required
- Monitoring attendance and punctuality, approving requests for time-off, and taking appropriate action to ensure compliance with staff rules and regulations
- Approving/recommending applications for leave,etc.
- Computer literacy with mastery of MS Office suite along and FINMAN accounting systems and strong technical (computing) skills
- Research and information-gatherings skills
- Ability to efficiently organize work; respond quickly to requests and meet priorities
- Ability to take responsibility and utilize independent judgement and initiative.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to provide leadership, motivate and work as part of a team.
- Ability to maintain courteous, professional relations with internal and external customers
- Ability to display, high degree of tact, confidentiality and integrity.
- Ability to treat with discretion, all King’s House matters.
Minimum Required Qualifications/Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Management Studies or Business Administration, with Accounting major, from an approved institution.
- Government Accounting Level 3
- Certificate in Supervisory Management
- At least seven (7) years experience in a senior position in the accounting field including Government Accounting
You may email your application letter and resume to email@example.com. Please state the post of interest in the subject line.
We appreciate all interests; however, we will respond only to candidates shortlisted.
Applications close on Thursday, January 28, 2021.