The Office of The Governor-General & Staff (King’s House) is seeking to recruit qualified, competent and experienced individuals who are forward-thinking, customer focused, and results-oriented, to fill the posts listed below on contract/gratuity terms:
Post & Grade: Grounds Man (LMO/TS 2)
Salary: $9,391 – $10,625 per week
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Certificate in horticulture, landscaping, agriculture or related discipline from a recognized tertiary institution. Certification by HEART/NTA desirable.
• At least two (2) years related experience in a comparable setting.
• Experience operating landscaping tools and equipment
The Grounds Man is responsible for, landscaping and maintaining the King’s House grounds to provide a beautiful backdrop for State ceremonies, National and Civic ceremonies, Meetings, Visits, Tours and other events and activities undertaken by the Office.
Under the supervision of the Landscape/Grounds Supervisor, the Grounds Man assists with the assigned preparation required for special events and functions at King’s House. This staff member is expected to be consistent in projecting a professional image as well as upholding the high standards of service delivery, which is the expectation of King’s House.
This role requires technical knowledge of landscaping structures; landscape design; ornamental plants; ground cover; plant care and pest control procedures; and, the operation of landscaping tools and equipment.
KEY RESULT AREAS/ OUTPUT
1. Landscaping & Grounds Maintenance services.
2. Inventory of tools and equipment.
1. Carry out cutting and/or resuscitation of lawns, pruning of shrubs and trees, preparation of beds and the introduction of plants and the application of chemicals essential for plant health.
2. Use hand and power tools such as power saw, brush cutter, shear and edge clippers, to maintain grounds of King’ House. Conduct minor repairs of such equipment and tools.
3. Apply chemicals and fertilizers by following established safety procedures, instructions and methodology.
4. Transplant shrubs and other plants using best practices to ensure proper horticultural care.
5. Weed areas of landscape, planter boxes, and maintain the greenhouse.
6. Mulch, spray, fork, dig, edge, water and prune shrubs, trees, flowerbeds and potted plants as necessary to ensure the health.
7. Maintain and upkeep assigned areas according to work schedule implemented by superiors.
8. Provide support for the installation of landscape designs for all areas of the property.
9. Report to the supervisor on any faulty/damaged equipment or any potential hazard as well as any untoward occurrences within the property.
10. Perform any other related duties as required.
1. Assist with breaking down and refitting of rooms/events areas before and after functions held at King’s House.
2. Assist with heavy lifting across property as required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE SPECIFIC TO THE POSITION
1. Able to use any related machinery and equipment.
2. Knowledge of irrigation procedure which include when, where, why and how watering is to be done.
3. Knowledge of caring for exotic and ornamental plants.
4. Knowledge and understanding of horticulture and pest control.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES, SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
1. Keen eye for details.
2. Is loyal, composed, trustworthy and demonstrates impeccable integrity.
3. Good interpersonal skills and able to exercise initiative and cope well under pressure.
4. Communicates effectively in both oral and written forms with persons at all levels.
5. Is confidential and professional in personal conduct and execution of duties.
The Vision Statement of the Office of The Governor-General & Staff, “A Culture of Excellence through People, Performance and Partnerships”, underpins every aspect of its operations, as does the espoused values of integrity, commitment, adaptability, and respect for all. If you believe that you are the candidate we are seeking, you may visit our website at www.kingshouse.gov.jm to review Job Descriptions for the posts noted above.
You may email your application letter and resume, along with contact details for two references to email@example.com. Please state the post of interest in the subject line.
We appreciate all interests; however, we will respond only to candidates shortlisted.
Applications close on Wednesday, November 27, 2019.