The Office of the Governor-General and Staff is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons to fill the post of Landscape/Grounds Supervisor (SOG/ST 3) on the General Establishment. Salary range $875,220 – $1,040,361 per annum.
Under the supervision of the Deputy Governor-General’s Secretary (Personal), the Landscape/Grounds Supervisor is responsible for landscaping and maintaining the King’s House grounds to provide a beautiful backdrop for State ceremonies, National and Civic ceremonies, Meetings.
The incumbent organizes, trains and directs assigned staff to assure effective operations, and that the highest level and quality of service is accorded to Their Excellencies, guests, and staff.
This role requires technical knowledge of landscaping structures; landscape design; ornamental plants; ground cover; plant care and pest control procedures; and, the operation of landscaping tools and equipment.
The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Monitor Their Excellencies weekly, monthly and annual diaries in order to keep abreast of and ensure optimal response time and preparedness of lawns, gardens and related areas required for the range of activities hosted at King’s House.
• Provide leadership and supervisory oversight for assigned staff to assure the prescribed courtesies, customer service standards, discipline, and protocol are observed, and the required procedures for tasks are executed in keeping with established standards.
• Develop, implement, and conduct ongoing review of Standard Operating Procedures Manual for the Grounds to include all areas under portfolio responsibility.
• Define and implement work schedules for all assigned staff.
• Manage the inventory of Landscape tools and equipment, documents and exercise control over the distribution and return of each item.
• Maintain service records for tools and equipment.
• Report all damages to tools and equipment in keeping with established procedures. Implement corrective actions as required.
• Prepare and submit to the Deputy Governor-General’s Secretary (Personal) weekly report on Landscape/Grounds activities in keeping with established timelines
• The incumbent also has responsibility for the effective management, use, and disposal of solid waste generated on premises, as well as providing support for disaster and emergency management activities
• Perform other related functions as required.
Required knowledge, Skills and Competences
• Sound and in-depth knowledge of landscaping structures; landscape design; ornamental plants; ground cover; plant care and pest control procedures; and, the operation of landscaping tools and equipment
• Knowledge of Irrigation systems
• Knowledge and understanding of health and safety issues related to the use of chemicals for landscaping operations.
• Excellent communication and leadership skills
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
Diploma in Horticulture, landscaping, agriculture or related discipline from a recognized tertiary institution. Certification by HEART/NTA desirable.
At least three (3) years progressive experience managing landscaping operations for a large property, within the hotel industry or related field.
A minimum of one (1) year Supervisory training and experience.
Valid General Driver’s License and/or experience operating typical landscaping equipment (forklift, tractors, back-hoe, zero-turn mowers, etc.)
Experience operating landscaping tools and equipment
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB
This job is outdoors. Direct/continued exposure to varied weather conditions is to be expected (e.g. sun, rain, wind, heat, etc.).
The Landscape/Grounds Supervisor is expected to lead by example and take a non-traditional approach to working hours. This means that he or she may be required to work long hours, including weekends and Public Holidays.
This position requires solving problems that arise, spending long hours on one’s feet and often having to lift heavy objects.
Applications accompanied by résumé should be submitted no later than Thursday, December 12, 2019 to:
Human Resource & Administration
Office of The Governor-General & Staff
Kingston 10 Email: email@example.com
Further details of the post may be obtained from the HR&A Division.
We thank you all for responding. However, only short-listed applicants will be contacted.